reel to reel recorders

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

reel to reel recorders

Postby Joe Henry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:40 pm

I listened to a friend's songs he recorded using an old reel to reel recorder and really like the results. Does anyone have any information on which reel to reels are good? where to get them? anything else? thanks.
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:29 am

I've got an Otari MX-50. It's a 1/4 inch 2-track stereo recorder. You can find them on ebay every once and a while for a reasonable price. The MX-5050 is a slight upgrade and can usually be found as a 4-track and it has a built-in oscillator for calibration. They can also be found on ebay. The nice thing about Otari is the company still exists so parts are easier to find if something happens to break. This reminds me, I need to get some tape...and a mixer.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby Joe Henry » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:32 pm

how much was yours?
pics?
how much is tape?
is it hard to use?
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:12 am

I got mine for around $200 on eBay. 1/4 inch tape can be purchased on musician's friend for $15 a reel. I haven't used it for anything yet, but like all recorders, it'll take a little noodling before you get what you want from it. I don't have any pictures of mine, but if you do google image search for "otari mx-50", you can see what it looks like.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:32 am

I have 3 TASCAM 388 Studio B reel to reel desks here that I've been using for about 10 years now. I think they're great....!!!! Really great, warm, analog sound. Simple to use..... I wouldn't trade 'em for any of the new digital stuff. I started out with one, then within about a month of each other I found 2 more. I buried a 100 foot snake out to my shed and turned it into a 'control room" with the head located in my living room. Works really well for recording the band. I do use the computer to digitize the final mixes that I do but I use these desks for all the recording. I utilize a SoundCraft 32 channel mixer for mix down to VHS tape, then to the computer. Mostly use MXL mikes for recording.

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Return to Recording