Recording at home

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Recording at home

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:15 am

Does anyone know how to record at home. Using my computer or something along those lines. I know some of you record stuff and post it on these threads, so how do you do it, without all of the fancy recording stuff. Thanks in advance!

Blake
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:02 am

without all of the fancy recording stuff

You can start with nothing more than a cheap computer voice mic and the windows recorder (start-programs-accessories-entertainment-sound recorder).

The next step for multi tracks, simple mixing, backing tracks and some effects etc is a studio program. There are freeware programs available on line like Audacity. If your not into hi-fidelity, and are just having fun, your computer mic works fine.

Beyond that, the sky and your bank account is the limit...
1four5
Regular

Postby huge blues » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:24 pm

I found online forums quite valuable. Sites like this:

http://www.homerecording.com/

are good too.
huge blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:06 am

I downloaded NeoSoundFX (A friend of mine who records for his myspace told me too), but I have no idea how to use it. I'll figure it out. I'm lookin to record some of the stuff I've been working on on my bouzouki. Thanks guys!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:00 pm

there are sound recording programs out there you can get your hands on like cool edit, audicity, soundfourge, cubase, audition etc if you want editing possiblities adding echo, reverb, delay, distortion, chorus etc. as for as fx go. You can also cut sound spots, add to your recording and do multitrack recording meaning you can lay down a bass lick, then come back and play lead to your previous recording, then come back and play vocals to that etc. There are tons of things you can do with these software programs and they work great, a few of them are free, off the top I know audicity is free type that in google.
thebluesbox
Regular

Return to Recording