Suggestions for recording equipment

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Suggestions for recording equipment

Postby stratman_27 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:59 am

I'm ready to start recording some material and need some ideas of what equipment is good. I've been playing around with Kristal Audio Engine on my PC and I like the convenience of being able to have everything on the screen but so far with my sound card my guitar sounds really sterile. I do know my sound card is insuffient for what I'm doing. I would love to buy some old analog equipment but most of it sells for more than what I want to spend. I figure on buying something digital but am overwhelmed by what all is out there. I'm torn between buying like an 8 track digital all in one recorder or going the mixer, soundcard route. I want to use mics to capture my amplifier instead of playing through a direct box.

So I'm asking for your help and suggestions. Keep in mind budget is a concern as well. $1000-$1500 max
stratman_27
Regular

Postby watertore » Sat May 27, 2006 4:59 pm

There are a lot of ways to go nowadays. I have found using the computer, the easiest, and cheapest for the buck/sound quality. I use: samplitude classic V8 recording software
delta 1010 soundcard
5 EH 12AY7 pre amps,
2 AKG 414 RODENT1, AT3035, a pair of Oktava M012's, mics, and a hp4 presonous headphone box.
You can hear the results below. I do it all live, with no isolation. If I did each track seperately, the sound would be much "better". I use the"" because I like the live sound better. Let me know if I can be of any help. Bottom line is, you are only as strong as you weakest link in the recording chain. Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=157137
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Sun May 28, 2006 6:34 am

I tried recording to PC, but mine is too slow, making it impossible to play along with previous recorded tracks: sounds ok while recording the 2nd track, then at playback it's WAY out of time.

I use a Roland BR864 for recording, then transfer to PC into Audacity for mixing. The BR is also easier to take along than the PC, making it ideal to take on holiday. I even use it instead of an amp, just plug in a couple of powered PC-speakers instead of headphones. The amp models are OK, and you can even plug in a mic and play/record mic & guitar simultaneous - great for on the spur demo / "notepad"-style idea keeper
jaybee
Regular

Postby bluesrules » Sun May 28, 2006 6:26 pm

Stratman, the sound card is really important. So is the horsepower of the machine you're using. I've been doing the computer based recording thing for quite some time. I started with an analog board and an adat. Computer based is the only way to go imho unless you can afford a Trident series board and a good 2" 24 track tape machine. :)

Your requirements will drive what you should be buying. So I would need a little more info to help you out. How many tracks do you envision working with in any given tune? What are the specs for your computer? Will you be recording more than just yourself? Would you be using drum machines and synths (computer based or otherwise)? Do you want to pooduce pro level finished products or are you just wanting to fool around with the stuff?

Just for grins here is my current setup:

Apple G5 Dual 2.5 ghz w/ 2 160 gig hard drives and 1.5 gig of ram
Echo Layla 24 soundcard.
Cubase SX3
IK Multimedia Studio bundle
Yamaha O1V difital mixer with adat option card
3 Art Mic tube pres
1 DBX mic tube pre
various mics 57s, 58s, audix D2s, AKG D112, both large and small diaphram condenser mics
Using Yamaha NS-10Ms as my main mix moitors.

We're actually getting some really good results with our latest CD endeavor from the guitar player using a POD running through a mesa boogie head direct into the Layla card. The boogie's tube warmth is really nice.
bluesrules
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:09 am

I picked up the July issue of Guitar World Acoustic magazine a few days ago. In there they have a Korg D4 recorder. Its $350US on MF. Check that out. Looks pretty sweet to me.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Return to Recording