Mic for recording reso's

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Mic for recording reso's

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:58 pm

So, I've been gradually building up my home studio, which s still very modest (The only thing I have less of than space is money.). I've been using a Shure 55s for recording acoustic and reso guitars. It's OK, but I'm wondering if something else, like an SM57 or 58 might do better. Any suggestion on a reasonably price mic? The 55 is OK but seems to miss the low end especially on the Dobro. Thanks!
Jakeblues
Regular

Re: Mic for recording reso's

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Hey bro!
You really, really should go for a condenser mic to record anything!
Get a large capsule model, they capture the acoustics way better, it will blow the dynamic mics away!!!!!

Röde NT-1 is a good one, I have it for my own recordings at home.
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:47 pm

I'll have to look into that. I looked at my notes, I remembered that I had borrowed my wife's AKG condenser mic (I forget the model) to record https://soundcloud.com/mean_old_fireman/amazing-grace, which was on a Chinese-made round neck dobro. The only pain is that it's "side address", which sometimes makes positioning it correctly challenging. I'll have to experiment more with it. Good suggestion, thanks!
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:21 pm

You can get condensers in any pattern, cardioid or super cardioid like most dynamic vocal mics. Absolutely no prob with the positioning, try sometime!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Actually, her AKG is available in front address, we just bought her's as a side address to suit her needs. Large capsule seems to be the way to go?
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby AZLBRAX » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 pm

An SM 57 or 58 ???????? :roll:

Sheesh !!

'nuff said
AZLBRAX
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm

They're great workhorse mics for live work, but color the sound similarly to the 55s. They work pretty well for close-mic recording. Particularly for the tricone, I think backing off will sound better. Dynamics work best with a lot of SPL.
Jakeblues
Regular

Return to Recording