some new banjo tunes..

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

RE: some new banjo tunes..

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:55 am

Sounds like a plan! Where are you from?
Jim A.
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:18 am

I live in santa rosa, ca. That is about 1 hour north of SF, in the heart of the sonoma county wine country. I have a nice little home studio, that would make you shine! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:46 am

Lol.. well so much for that plan. I live in New Jersey. But you live in wine country? Like in "sideways"? If I ever get out that way I'll let you know..
Jim A.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:42 pm

I'm listening to "Sugarbaby" right now.

Jim, this is some seriously good stuff.

I really like this style of music. It's got the same atmosphere and feel as some of the best of Kelly Joe Phelps stuff. (I don't know how you feel about KJP, but that's a huge compliment from me.)

This is the direction my stuff has naturally been going, so I believe I'll HAVE to get a banjo now. You guys are expensive. :)
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:08 am

> well so much for that plan. I live in New Jersey.

Well heck, Walter is going to Jersey next year in the Spontocruiser. You guys should get together then.
nizer
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:24 am

Noooo.. I like KJP, as long as he's got a slide in his hand. I like most of "Shine Eyed Master Zen," but after that he kind of lost it I think. But it IS a huge compliment. I love his first album, it's very moody.
And banjos aren't expensive.. lol.. all you rich folk talking about Johnson this and Johnson that and vintage 1890's crazy things and you can't drop $150 for a used banjo? Crybabies, the lot of you.. ;)
Alright, crazy jam in NJ next summer!
Jim A.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:20 pm

I don't really know much about banjos, but somebody had said they were tuned like a guitar in open "G" tuning. Is that right? How do you have your's tuned?
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:40 pm

Jim,
My oldest son (21) was here recently and mentioned wantin a banjo so I played yer click and he say's he's gonna order an inexpensive one from MF after his next pay day! I told him I'd match 1/2 if he was serious!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:59 pm

> And banjos aren't expensive.. lol.. all you rich folk
>talking about Johnson this and Johnson that and vintage
>1890's crazy things and you can't drop $150 for a used
>banjo? Crybabies, the lot of you.. ;)

How about a Johnson banjo?

http://www.johnsongtr.com/Open_back_Banjos.118.0.html

http://www.johnsongtr.com/uploads/pics/JB-070_01.jpg

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:12 pm

Personally, I've got a Gold Tone. As much as I'd like to help with banjo selection, it's the same thing as with my guitars. I'm not a guitar guy, I'm a MY guitar guy.. so I got a good 'un and I don't know about any others... lol.. so I guess check out harmonycentral or something for reviews.. =D
Normally yes, you'd tune the banjo DGBD with the high 5 string as a g, gDGBD. My version of "write me a few of your lines" is like that, and that's pretty much standard tuning for banjos. But the other songs are different. "coo coo bird" and "sugar baby" are both in sawmill tuning, where you just raise the B string up to a C. So it's gDGCD. Personally, I think this is my favorite tuning. It makes everything more ambiguous, so you don't have that B string blaring out at you. And playing in D minor is a snap. "Sugar Baby" is played in D minor, but in that tuning.
"mole in the ground" is in another tuning, I guess it'd be a C tuning or something. gCGCD. So you just raise the second string to C, and drop the 4th string to C. And then I play the song in C.
VERY cool that you'll help your son with the banjo purchase. My dad has never played an instrument in his life, but he got me this banjo and has helped me along the way with pretty much everything. Not too many fathers like that. Keep it up.. =D
Jim A.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:17 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-05 AT 04:19 PM (EST)]I'm also new to banjo, and got my first one in July. I've learned a LOT. There are great reviews here:
http://www.banjohangout.org/reviews/
I could write a ton on my banjo experiences over the summer. Played a bunch at music stores, and a friends. I got a Lotus (brand new asian cookie cutter import) from a garage sale. An old Harmony from goodwill, a new Gold Tone CC100R from music123, and finally a Deering Sierra through the banjohangout.com market place.
My opinions, short and sweet:
Low end Fender/Rogue/Johnson/washburn/dean/rover/etc asian aluminum pot cookie cutter import banjos suck for air, and have dreadfully narrow fretboards, and beer can sound. They are cool when you have little experience, and nothing to compare them too. If you play them hard, good luck, I gave mine away after 4 months...it was a rag, didn't see it making it a year even. Old Kay/Harmony/Silvertones are built better, but have even narrower fretboards...I gave mine away, as it was too frustrating to play. Deering Goodtime and Gold Tone Cripple Creek banjos rise to the top as the best entry level banjos for @ $300. Worth every penny, with decent string spacing, and playability and sound riviling banjos that cost several times more. My Sierra is worth 5 times more than my Gold Tone CC100R, but the Gold tone gives it a run for it's money. Playability is almost eqaul. The GoldTone has a thinner sound with slightly less volume, but very acceptable.

I don't have a lot of experience, but it's fresh. I've played banjo out twice, once with the Gold tone, and once with the Sierra. Both did fine mic'ed. I can see the Gold Tone getting used in hot/cold/rainy/long less than ideal conditions in the future. Also, at a difference between 12.5 pounds (sierra) and 7 pounds (GoldTone)... :)
1four5
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. Very helpful.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:13 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-05 AT 08:15 PM (EST)]"
Lol.. well so much for that plan. I live in New Jersey. But you live in wine country? Like in "sideways"? If I ever get out that way I'll let you know..
Jim A."

I am born and raised in NJ (Belville and South Orange). Small world! I sure miss the food and shore. My family all still lives there. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:40 am

Jim,
I frequent a folk forum, and posted a link to your banjo blues there. Thought you might like to read Phil's replay near the bottome of this thread
http://www.ezfolk.com/forums/view_topic ... d=3&page=2
1four5
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:25 am

Lol.. NJ John?
Thanks for the link, very nice.
I must disagree with "Sugar Baby" though, it's not supposed to have fire, it's a mellow song.. =D But we're all entitled to our opinions..
Jim
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Recording