Spontobeat..

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Spontobeat..

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:16 am

SoI guess this isn't the right forum to post this in, but it'll do. I've been listening to Spontobeat religiously for the last couple days, and I'm wondering how the one man band setup is done. From the picture, it looks like the bass drum, and you've got the snare turned over like a bass drum as well? How does the cymbal work?
This sound speaks to me.. I need to try it..
Jim A.
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Spontobeat..

Postby watertore » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:23 pm

Hi Jim: Thanks for taking the time to check out the 1 man band set up. I learned it from Wilbert Harrison, who had big hits with Kansas City, and Let's work Together (1 man band with overdubs). He was on hard times when we connected, and was doing the 1 man band, with a bass drum, high hat, guitar, and harp.

I have modified it some. I use a double bass drum kick pedal, and use it on my left foot for the bass drum and snare. THe high hat is on the right foot. I wired a tamborine to the bass drum for a little extra effect. I built a funky little wooden stand for the snare drum. Here is a picture of it. If you want more details, let me know. Good luck and have a blast! Walter

watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:47 am

Hmmmm.. that's quite the setup you've got there. I'm still a little confused though. It's a very good picture, but I'm not sure I understand which foot works what.
Jim A.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:28 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-05 AT 09:38 PM (EST)]JIm: the 2 pedals on the bass drum and snare, are both worked by the left pedal, in front of the bass drum. The pedal on the snare doesn't work if you bang on it, but the beater hits the snare, everytime the bass pedal is hit. the high hat is rigged between the 2, and my right foot works that. The double bass pedals are big $, but I buy the cheapest gear I can get. I don't hit hard. That pedal cost $80, the whole high hat about $40, the snare $25, the tamborine about $10, and the bass drum free (out of my friends garbage can). The wood stand I built out of an old bowling alley. My friends family owns a bowling alley, and a few years ago, replaced the maple wood floor. They were giving away 6 and 12 foot sections for free! I use 2 - 6 foot sections, for work benches, and have a small 3 foot section that I use for misc. That is where the bass drum stand came from. I would have taken 12 foot sections, but the 6 foot ones weight over 150 pounds! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:28 am

Oh okay, I think I've got it now. I thought both pedals worked and you were alternating between them with your feet, which was scary.. lol..
Shouldn't be too expensive for me, actually. I've got a drumset in my basement, so I can take quite a bit from that. And there's plenty of boards laying around here. So I'll just pick up a double bass drum pedal from ebay and I'll be in business. And maybe one day I'll be somewhat decent on harp. Look out, world!
Jim
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:47 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-05 AT 00:51 AM (EST)]Jim: I look forward to hearing what you think of it all. The pulse pedal, was the cheapest double kick I could find. I have used it for a year, which is about 150 gigs, and too many recording hours to count, with no trouble. The base for the snare has to have some sort of metal tongue to lock into the foot pedal. I have my snare laying on the wood base, with no clamps. I am thinking of drilling a couple of holes through the snare, and putting a couple of big screws to hold it in place. If you look at the picture of me playing, you will see the plywood base is cut down. I had it about a foot square, but it overhanged on the stage. I play this place every saturday, and I worried about somebody tripping over it. It now wobbles, but still stays on. It took a lot of hours to get everything to line up right, so both beaters hit the skins at the same time. I used a lock latch by stanley, for the tongue, and screwed it to the wood base. I also have changed the high hat set up a bit from the photo. The way it is in the photo, the 2 pedals are not the distance from the drums. I like my feet even, so I put little wood blocks under the high hat floor legs, and run the pedal under the shaft that connects the 2 drums. You will figure it all out. Walter

as you may have summized, I like to use what is laying around the house, vs. going out and buying stuff.
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:40 pm

Hey Jim, how's your band comin along?
nizer
Regular

Return to Recording